Saturday, June 27, 2009

Trip of a Lifetime Round 2 (Thailand: Ko Samui)

Well Ko Samui was the first stop on my tour around Thailand's version of Paradise. Upon arriving at the airport, I jumped into a shared mini bus and headed directly to the main strip on the island, Chaweng Beach. Upon arriving, I headed to The Wave Samui backpacker hotel that was recommended to me by my guide book. Although I had emailed them the day before and they replied that they were full, I decided to give it a shot anyway. I ended up lucking out and they had a room. After dropping off my stuff, I headed out to get my first taste of Thailand's version of Paradise. Let me say that it DID NOT disappoint. Chaweng Beach is the most popular beach for a reason. It is 6 Kilometers long and the sand couldn't be whiter, the water couldn't be clearer, and there are plenty of palm trees to go around. I walked down the beach for a while before chilling out at one of the beach front bars to watch the sun set. After the sun went down, I decided to go back to my hotel and get ready for some nighttime fun. That night, I headed out to the "Pub Street" area and had a few drinks. I met some nice Australian people and ended up hanging out with them for the majority of the night.

The next day, I woke up surprisingly early and decided to go and check out Samui's second most popular beach, Lamai Beach. This beach is located 4 Kilometers down the island from Chaweng and so I decided to take a motor-taxi to get there. After arriving, I spent the better part of the morning walking up and down the beach and admiring the sheer beauty of it. It has similar properties to Chaweng (what sand, clear water, palm trees, etc.) but it is a little less developed and it is much quieter. After relaxing at Lamai for a while, I headed back to Chaweng to spend the afternoon back on Chaweng Beach. Upon arriving back at Chaweng, I decided to be sneaky and I picked up a beach chair from one of the resorts to use for the afternoon. After relaxing in the beach chair for a few hours, I decided to up my level of sneakiness and I decided to take a swim in the resorts pool. No one (including the staff) seemed to mind so I made myself right at home. I spent the next few hours poolside and enjoying the fact that I didn't have to pay for any of it! After I decided it was time to leave the pool, I headed back to my hotel and called it a night.

The next day, I got up early to catch my bus to the pier to do finally participate in some fishing! I didn't really know what to expect from the boat that I had joined up with, but I was pleasantly surprised. We headed out from the pier and after a quick 20 minuet ride, we were at the first of the fishing grounds. We spent the morning catching Grouper and Snapper before heading to a nice cove for lunch. The deckhand cooked up a feast (including our morning's catch) and it was delicious. After lunch, we moved a bit further and began fishing again. After some more Grouper, I hooked into something that felt a lot bigger. It turned out that it was a Dragon Fish and it was one of the coolest looking fish that I have ever caught. They are extremely long and narrow (like an eel sort of) and have razor sharp teeth. After snapping some photos, I continued catching Grouper for the rest of the day before we headed back to port.

Tomorrow its off to my next stop on my tour of Paradise; Ko Tao and the world famous scuba diving sites in the surrounding waters!

No comments:

Post a Comment